Wednesday, April 1, 2009

But then Jesus.

Sorry for the delay. This week has been crazy and it's only gonna get worse (or better, however you look at it.)

I've tried to comprise some of my favorite memories from the ten days I spent in Poland with the Roma people group and I'll be posting them here in the days to come.

While in Poland we spent every night in worship with one another, both the Roma and the Americans. One of my favorite things about those times were listening to the testimonies of the Roma people. They are a broken people who have a tattered past.

Most of the men's testimonies included stories of drunkenness and beating their wives. They spent there days searching for work and falling into a hurtful reality. But then Jesus.

Most of the women's testimonies included loneliness. Stories of searching for peace and significance in other religions and philosophies. Pain and hurt from lives lived in desperation. But then Jesus.

The Roma's stories are more than sad stories and more than hopelessness, because Jesus showed up and turned their world upside down. Now men are leaders, women are caretakers. Men support their families both financially and more importantly spirtually. Women smile and laugh and build families based on kinship and love.

The Roma people have a long ways to go. Jerry Goss (the missionary to the Roma people) spent every morning of the camp in Bible study with them. They are learning what it means to live as a Christian and what they can do to reach others for Christ.

That is simply an introduction into their lives. I'll be sharing more specific stories and the days to come. I ask that you continue to pray for the Roma and pray the revival amongst them continue.

I also ask that you pray for me. It is still unclear where and what I am going to be doing after the summer.

Thanks.

A.T.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like the early communities. Ephesus. Corinth. But then Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there were also polish people ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. April really?? I need a catch up on your life!

    Co hum chey!

    ReplyDelete